Skip to main content

What does "Lasitas" mean?

I decided to start a blog. One of the first things Blogger asks you for is your blog name. Now that was a hard question. Hard enough to warrant three seconds of nervous thought before Googling “how to name a blog.” I found an article (the link is that the bottom of this post) whose author asked several questions that he should help anyone name their blog. He encouraged any new blogger to treat these questions as an exercise. As I was considering my answers, I thought to myself “This could be a blog post.”

 

So now, a blog post:

1.       What do you want your blog to be about?

      Oof, what a question. I want my blog to about me? I want a virtual space that is my own (relatively speaking) to express anything I want to say or show. The connecting theme won’t necessarily be cooking, cats, gaming, or anything like that. The theme is simply me. The connecting thread between any of the content will be my interest in it. I suppose I envision a combination of social media style posts (pictures, witticisms, life updates), essays about whatever I am thinking about (I guess that could be summed up by “critical thinking”? Living life with intention? Most of the things I think about are like “Why do I use social media and should I? What are the ethics of streaming music? Is plant-based eating better for the environment?”), and maybe fiction. I’ve always wanted a place to post short prose stories.

      It is not so much what I want my blog to be about but rather what I want to do with my blog. What I want my blog to do for me. I want it to be a place where I can connect with people I’ve met in real life without the specter of modern social media. Heck, maybe a place where I can connect with people I haven’t met in real life without that risky ability for them to be able to comment and message me. I want it to be a tool to encourage my creativity and where I can have a voice, unwavering and without the fear of fights breaking out in my comments section.

      Maybe everything doesn’t need to be effortlessly interactive. Maybe if you really want to talk to me, you should have to reach out and talk directly to me, not just comment into space for all to see. Maybe every conversation doesn’t need an audience. And maybe every thought doesn’t need a response.

 

2.       Who is your target audience?

Well, after my response to the last question, this is a bit of an awkward question. Does my life and self-expression have a target audience?

I hope I will have an audience. I hope that people who know me will care about me enough to look elsewhere than Facebook to see what I’m up to. I hope people will be interested in my deeper thoughts, not just pictures of Hazel (though that will be here too, and I won’t judge if you scroll through words to catch those sweet, sweet glimpses of feline perfection). I hope people will be willing to engage with me on my terms. I hope people will look for my updates, check their emails, start an RSS feed, instead of opting to only participate in the lives presented to them by an algorithm.

I think some will. Alex will anyway, so that’s nice. Hi Alex! Thanks for reading!

And if someone stumbles across my blog who doesn’t know me, and they can get some joy from looking at Hazel’s cute paws, if someone can feel connected to a stranger who shares their views, if someone can just have a really interesting thing to read on the subway sometimes, then I will be honored to provide that.

 

3.       What is the tone/voice of your blog going to be like?

See, we keep returning to this problem of expecting my blog to be a consistent product. It’s not a product. It’s me. What the tone/voice of my existence and inner life?


4.       Will you be building your brand around you blog name?

Brand? Oof. Maybe this article wasn’t for me. Is not being a brand a brand?


5.       Does the blog name read OK when it’s in a domain URL format?

This is an interesting point. The article proceeds to list hilarious real-life examples of not thinking about this question like WhoRepresents.com, ITscrap.com, and SpeedofArt.com. Nice.


6.       What happens if you change or vary your niche?

This is the joy of a blog where the only theme is my self-expression, right? Like how will I vary that? Start plagiarizing?


7.       Is it easy to say or spell?

Okay, so don’t put my last name in. Noted.

 

The article then proceeded to list some strategies and resources for coming up with a blog name. Most of them sounded like they would produce canned and impersonal titles, but one of them mentioned, “Use words from another language.” I, of course, thought “Well, perhaps time to pull out the old Latin degree and put that to use.”

What I decided on was a wordplay using Latin conventions, not a Latin word itself. You see, Latin turns adjectives into abstract concepts by putting -itas at the end. Verus (true) becomes veritas (truth, the concept of being true). Humilis (humble) becomes humilitas (the concept of being humble). Sounds like our “humility,” right? We do it too, but ended up shortening -itas to just “-ity.” We have gravity, levity, brevity, civility, and humanity all from this Latin convention.

I wanted to use that, but with something that symbolized me. My name ends in an “a” which is a little difficult for adding -itas at the end. My initials however, are conveniently close to my name, and do not end with a vowel. L.A.S.

Lasitas. The concept of being me. Now that’s a brand I can get behind.

 

Once again, thanks for reading this, Alex.

For the link to the article that originally asked these questions and inspired this post: https://bloggingwizard.com/choose-a-blog-name/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Crawling Back to Facebook

Y’all, I got a confession to make. I’ve been logging onto Facebook. I never deleted it. I stayed off of it mostly since I dramatically published my “ Why am I leaving Facebook and Instagram? ” post almost two and a half years ago. I didn’t delete my account because I had pictures on there and some old friends whose contact info I never got, and it was on my to do list to get those handled and delete the account since February of 2021. And it was nice that I didn’t since that still allowed me to occasionally dip onto the site if I wanted to look at a business’s Facebook page (yo, some places don’t bother doing websites anymore, just socials). But lately, I’ve been doing more than reluctantly logging on when FB tries to block my ability to view a restaurant’s updated hours. I’ve been scrolling. Just a bit. The top three or four posts and then that’s it. I might even click on the “Show All Comments” section. I haven’t commented or liked any posts myself because that would give away that

Why Do We Like to Make Characters Suffer?

There's a question that I've been pondering lately: Why do people like seeing their favorite characters suffer? As many of you know, I love Final Fantasy VII. In particular, I love Cloud Strife, the moody sad boy protagonist of the game. Because of my great affection for this fictional man, I seek out (and write) fanfiction where Cloud faces a variety of hardships from childhood trauma to harrowing battle injuries to horrific laboratory experimentation to plain just being lonely. But why? Why do I like reading about a character that means a lot to me, who reminds me a lot of myself in some ways and has helped me understand myself better, suffering? Why do I seek out stories where he is in pain? And why am I not alone? There is an entire genre of fanfiction called “whump” where the writer’s favorite character is subjected to whatever sadistic imaginings the author can dream up. And people can dream up a lot of pain for Cloud Strife, largely because that’s sort of his deal in th

Fun Photo Friday May 28

 Hello friends! I stayed up to the late, late hour of 10 PM last night, so I am too tired to write an intro. So without further ado... What has Hazel been up to? She wedged herself under my knee. She really likes licking hands now. She's such a cute sleepy; I don't even have something clever to say. Hazel was doing some sort of workout when she noticed me watching. I tried to get her to meow while I was on the phone, but she was too sleepy. Up, up, and away to save the day! What have Hazel's friends been up to? Have you been thinking to yourself, "Wow, these pictures of Hazel are cute, but, like, there's got to be other cute animals out there." Well, turns out you're right! Hazel's friends are also dang cute! Introducing... a new feature of FPF! Let's look at today's spotlight- Juniper the rabbit! Juniper is an American immigrant (emigrant?) living in Sweden and also was inspired by my pile of bananas last week! Note the boop of a nose. In othe