Skip to main content

Creative Writing Archive: To Write Your Words in the Cloud

 Hello all! Remember when I started this blog and I claimed that part of its purpose was to post my creative writing projects? If you've been dutifully scrolling through pictures of Hazel waiting for the real show to begin, today's your day.

I've decided to start by posting some old writing from my Google Drive Creative Writing folder. Part of what I found exciting about starting my own blog was the prospect of finally having a place to publish my writing because it's something I've dabbled in for almost my entire life but rarely had a meaningful audience for, which has at times been disheartening.

Today's entry in the archives is from November 10, 2018. It was the founding document of my Creative Writing folder in Google Drive, which, up to that point, had only really been a place where I saved work documents. I considered not posting this one because it was more of a warm-up, I thought, than an actual piece of creative writing, but rereading it, I think it's actually an interesting and decently written meditation.

So, without further ado, here is "To Write Your Words in the Cloud."

Here I am, typing the first words of any creative writing project I have ever undertaken on a Google Doc. Google Docs was not my first choice of medium, but right as I was clicking the search bar in the bottom left of my computer’s home screen, about to type “Word,” I remembered that Microsoft Word isn’t how it used to be, where you would buy it, download it to your computer, and that was that. You may still have the 2003 version in 2013, but that was fine. Sure, you might be missing out on the latest features and perhaps were setting yourself up for compatibility issues, buuuut… no real repercussions. You could keep word processing away.

But now, Microsoft has taken a different approach. You no longer purchase a program once. You merely lease it, paying a subscription fee. Once that subscription expires, time to pay up again if you want to continue using Microsoft programs. That’s why I do my budgeting on Google Sheets now or whatever the Google version of Microsoft Excel is.

No big deal, really, it’s not. But, it was with a small amount of wistfulness that I clicked over to the orange and teal swirl to open Firefox instead of continuing my search to open a Word document. I mean, there’s all the associations of work, I suppose, that come rushing in as soon as I open Google Drive. It’s what I see day in and day out at school. It is where ALL of my work, more or less, for school is done. Outside of lesson planning in a notebook and attendance records in another notebook, every worksheet, PowerPoint, unit plan, test, everything for my classes is created and stored in my Google Drive. Even as I open it, it suggests dictatio worksheets, Latin presentations, even the script for the National Honor Society convocation. There is something unsettling about keeping my work and my creative expressions all within the same complex of storage, about seeing the all-too-familiar home page when I am curled on my couch ready to spend an evening writing for fun.

But there is something even beyond the blurring of the lines between home and work. With the exception a few brief stints of fanfiction handwritten in notebooks, all of my creative writing endeavors have always been typed in the secure confines of a Word document. Dating back to my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fanfiction typed on the desktop computer in my parents’ room when I was 8, using a Word document has been the constant of my personal writing documents, even the journal I kept in high school. There is something that feels cozy about a Word document, the privacy of it-- I’m not paranoid about cybersecurity, but it’s hard to argue that being online is more private than typing your thoughts and creativity into a document that only exists on your own personal computer’s hard drive. Once it’s cloud stored, there’s something less private about it, less personal.
 
No, I don’t think it’s likely that anyone is going to hack into my Google Drive, but there is something so personal about the file only existing for me. It’s the best of both worlds-the speed and ease of typing combined with the individual, private nature of a notebook. The writing in a notebook can only be accessed by someone possessing that physical object, the pages where the author’s hand rested, the lead or ink that was from the implement in the writer’s own hand. A file saved to an individual machine’s hard drive is like that. Only someone who can access my computer, with the keys that I used to type that document, can see what is written there. Someone looking at the same glass as I looked at as I stared at the words forming on the screen. Now the sense of transferability-- any machine can display these words, it is saved on the Internet, the great common space of the modern world-- somehow makes me miss those nights spent at my parents’ old house, typing stories that would only ever exist in that corner of the room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Crawling Back to Facebook

Y’all, I got a confession to make. I’ve been logging onto Facebook. I never deleted it. I stayed off of it mostly since I dramatically published my “ Why am I leaving Facebook and Instagram? ” post almost two and a half years ago. I didn’t delete my account because I had pictures on there and some old friends whose contact info I never got, and it was on my to do list to get those handled and delete the account since February of 2021. And it was nice that I didn’t since that still allowed me to occasionally dip onto the site if I wanted to look at a business’s Facebook page (yo, some places don’t bother doing websites anymore, just socials). But lately, I’ve been doing more than reluctantly logging on when FB tries to block my ability to view a restaurant’s updated hours. I’ve been scrolling. Just a bit. The top three or four posts and then that’s it. I might even click on the “Show All Comments” section. I haven’t commented or liked any posts myself because that would give away that

Why Do We Like to Make Characters Suffer?

There's a question that I've been pondering lately: Why do people like seeing their favorite characters suffer? As many of you know, I love Final Fantasy VII. In particular, I love Cloud Strife, the moody sad boy protagonist of the game. Because of my great affection for this fictional man, I seek out (and write) fanfiction where Cloud faces a variety of hardships from childhood trauma to harrowing battle injuries to horrific laboratory experimentation to plain just being lonely. But why? Why do I like reading about a character that means a lot to me, who reminds me a lot of myself in some ways and has helped me understand myself better, suffering? Why do I seek out stories where he is in pain? And why am I not alone? There is an entire genre of fanfiction called “whump” where the writer’s favorite character is subjected to whatever sadistic imaginings the author can dream up. And people can dream up a lot of pain for Cloud Strife, largely because that’s sort of his deal in th

Fun Photo Friday May 28

 Hello friends! I stayed up to the late, late hour of 10 PM last night, so I am too tired to write an intro. So without further ado... What has Hazel been up to? She wedged herself under my knee. She really likes licking hands now. She's such a cute sleepy; I don't even have something clever to say. Hazel was doing some sort of workout when she noticed me watching. I tried to get her to meow while I was on the phone, but she was too sleepy. Up, up, and away to save the day! What have Hazel's friends been up to? Have you been thinking to yourself, "Wow, these pictures of Hazel are cute, but, like, there's got to be other cute animals out there." Well, turns out you're right! Hazel's friends are also dang cute! Introducing... a new feature of FPF! Let's look at today's spotlight- Juniper the rabbit! Juniper is an American immigrant (emigrant?) living in Sweden and also was inspired by my pile of bananas last week! Note the boop of a nose. In othe