Skip to main content

Lisa Doesn't Actually Know Basic Cultural Information: Part 3, Episode 6

 Put on your space seatbelts, folks, and prepare to be as disappointed in me as Alex, who I believe may have questioned our engagement after reading this one. She asked, pleaded me, in fact, to search my memory for something, anything more about the original finale to the crowning achievement of science fiction cinema, but this is it, baby. Star Wars Episode 6: The One Where Barely Anything Happens, Apparently. Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Luke realizes he must save Leia, and probably Han while he’s at it. He crashes Jabba’s house party, but then gets captured himself. Luckily, he is able to use all his Yoda-given training to win an arena-style fight that Jabba put him up to for the entertainment of his guests. Leia, who is dressed like the Star Wars centerfold edition, is rescued by Luke’s daring heroics, and they also get Han back somehow.

With his found family back together, Luke realizes it’s time to face his final objective: fight Darth Vader and win the space war for democracy!

They smuggle him into Darth Vader’s ship where Luke has an epic confrontation. He puts up a good fight at first, but is soon overpowered by Darth Vader’s skill and bolder colored light saber. Luke dangles over a precipice and Vader utters what is perhaps the most famous line in cinematic history.

“Luke, I am your father.”

Or something along those lines.

Luke screams, his face contorting with rage and horror, “NO! THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!”

Darth Vader, not winning any father of the year awards, cuts Luke’s hand off to send him plummeting to the depths below.

Somehow Luke survives because 1) the light saber instantly cauterized the wound, so blood loss was no issue and 2) Luke landed on some pillows or something? I don’t know why the fall doesn’t injure him.

Then Luke makes his way to fight Darth Vader again, this time in Emperor Palpatine’s throne room. Palpatine enjoys the fight and encourages Luke. Luke wins, killing Darth Vader, who is raptured to heaven to stand on the right side of Ben, the Jedi Almighty. Palpatine realizes that Luke means fucking business and starts shooting lightning out of his fingertips.

Luke wins, I guess, I don’t really remember. At some point, he found out that Leia was his sister, so he goes back to watch Han and Leia’s wedding or something probably.

Also, everyone gets medals for their bravery! The movie ends with an awards ceremony.

The end…. Or is it?

Yep, that's it. I exhausted almost everything else I remembered about the Star Wars original trilogy in the other two movies. Was I correct to do that? Based on Alex's response, I suspect not.

What other pop culture should I put under the chopping block? Comment below to let me know! Also subscribe to my email newsletter for post notifications and life updates. Plus, check out my new Tumblr!

Until next time, may the Force be with You!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Crawling Back to Facebook

Y’all, I got a confession to make. I’ve been logging onto Facebook. I never deleted it. I stayed off of it mostly since I dramatically published my “ Why am I leaving Facebook and Instagram? ” post almost two and a half years ago. I didn’t delete my account because I had pictures on there and some old friends whose contact info I never got, and it was on my to do list to get those handled and delete the account since February of 2021. And it was nice that I didn’t since that still allowed me to occasionally dip onto the site if I wanted to look at a business’s Facebook page (yo, some places don’t bother doing websites anymore, just socials). But lately, I’ve been doing more than reluctantly logging on when FB tries to block my ability to view a restaurant’s updated hours. I’ve been scrolling. Just a bit. The top three or four posts and then that’s it. I might even click on the “Show All Comments” section. I haven’t commented or liked any posts myself because that would give away that

Why Do We Like to Make Characters Suffer?

There's a question that I've been pondering lately: Why do people like seeing their favorite characters suffer? As many of you know, I love Final Fantasy VII. In particular, I love Cloud Strife, the moody sad boy protagonist of the game. Because of my great affection for this fictional man, I seek out (and write) fanfiction where Cloud faces a variety of hardships from childhood trauma to harrowing battle injuries to horrific laboratory experimentation to plain just being lonely. But why? Why do I like reading about a character that means a lot to me, who reminds me a lot of myself in some ways and has helped me understand myself better, suffering? Why do I seek out stories where he is in pain? And why am I not alone? There is an entire genre of fanfiction called “whump” where the writer’s favorite character is subjected to whatever sadistic imaginings the author can dream up. And people can dream up a lot of pain for Cloud Strife, largely because that’s sort of his deal in th

Address to 2021 Graduates

  Today some former students contacted me, telling me they had just completed the AP Latin exam. They wanted to thank me for the role I played in getting them to that point. It was touching to see that, even though I bailed on that career choice after only two and a half years, I had still made a lasting impact in the lives of some great kids. That got me feeling introspective about my decision to leave teaching in December 2019 and about the life I’ve led since. It had me wishing I could make a speech to that graduating class of Latin students, an opportunity I gave up when leaving halfway through their junior year. I realized I could still write it out, and, hey, maybe some of them will read this after all. Salvete, discipulae carissimae, Don’t worry, the rest of this is Anglice. When we met in August 2017, it was your first day of high school. It was my first day of having a job. This may come as a surprise because I made efforts to seem like I was an old hand in the classroom. The