Skip to main content

Best of Media: February 2023 Edition

 Hey everyone! February is over already! And that can mean only one thing: pop culture round-up time!

I don't have as many things this month because I spent less time reading, I guess? Pretty much my whole life is Final Fantasy VII right now. But you'll hear about that later.

Best Book of (My) February: Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan. Book One of the Celestial Kingdom Duology

The best book this month also happens to be the only book I read this month, so the competition was not fierce. I would rate this book as a solid B, maybe B+. If you're interested in Eastern (especially Chinese) mythology and romance, then I would definitely check it out. The world-building is pretty solid without being bogged down with complicated details, the protagonist is a badass woman who has the paradoxical problems of impulsively wearing her heart on her sleeve while also being emotionally guarded (#relatable), and there are dragons, magic, swords, and archery. All solid pros in my opinion.

The romance was a little uninteresting to me, but I may be biased against cishet romance. If you like reading women falling in love with men, then maybe you'll have more interest in it.

The author's style was also a little overwrought sometimes, like it felt like she was trying too hard to make it sound elegant and poetic, like in this dialogue here:

    "...Though I doubt your news was pleasing to Their Celestial Majesties."

    "As pleasing as a zither with a snapped string."

Does anyone talk like that? Even in a fantastical Chinese court?

But anyway, the stylistic snafus aside, this is a solid debut from a brand new author, and I admire how the pacing stayed consistent (something I struggle with in fiction) and there was even a plot twist that I didn't see coming the first time I read it, but I saw the seeds being sown as I skimmed through it again for this review. I like that.

Also, kudos to the artistic design for the cover and inner art. Isn't it a gorgeous book? That's why I bought it.

Best Game of (My) February (and whole life?): Final Fantasy VII Remake for the PS4

Image credit: Deviant Art user KingBlader995

I don't know if I can render into words how much this game affected me. Well, I did write over 16,000 words of fanfiction in less than a week, so I mean, I must have some words.

This game is visually stunning with a beautiful score. I have never thought of myself as someone who would listen to video game music outside of the context of playing said game, but I definitely made some meals this week with the soundtrack of this game on in the background. And the game is a joy to look at. From Cloud Strife's beautifully rendered soft boy face to the movement of Aerith's dress and hair to the texture of Tifa's cocktails (do you know how hard it is to animate liquid?), everything is perfect without straying into the uncanny valley of being too lifelike for comfort, as the slightly large, brightly colored eyes of a lot of the main cast keep this rooted in the anime-esque style of many JRPGs.

I am a newcomer to FF7, and to the Final Fantasy franchise in general, so there were several elements of the plot that were lost on me (this time around, but guess who found a 1997 copy of the original on Ebay for $30?), but Alex and the Internet clued me in enough to never feel totally confused. The hybrid real-time action and strategic turn-based battle system was overwhelming at first, but the designers foresaw this difficulty by offering a Classic mode where you can let the characters handle the real time fighting on their own while you plan their strategic special attacks, magic usage, and item handling. This mode is great for beginners who are interested in growing with the game because it allows you to override the characters' real time movements at any time, so I gradually found myself letting the game do less and less for me until I basically wasn't playing on Classic mode by the end. I appreciate when a game respects all players and when developers understand that there are a lot of ways to enjoy a game and that being extremely proficient in battle is only one way.

The plot and character development was a thoroughly enjoyable mix of deep theming with lighthearted fun: in the first chapter, you are introduced to what essentially appears to be Cloud's struggle with PTSD flashbacks and alarming hallucinations but a few hours of gameplay later, he is bashfully accepting the proposition of a date with his childhood friend Tifa. It seems that just about every character enjoys this mix of serious characterization with playful moments: Barrett is a loving father and zealous terrorist but also delivers some of the funniest dialogue in the game, Aerith cheerfully keeps attempting to high five the ever-stoic and socially awkward Cloud but also is haunted by a lonely childhood. Even the non-playable Avalanche members are given a (much expanded, I'm told) taste of the complex characterization. Jessie is that theater kid that everyone sort of hates and loves but also fears for the fate of her father's immortal soul; Biggs is devilishly handsome and banters easily with Jessie but also is gripped by anxiety the night before a heist; Wedge lures a pack of dogs away from Cloud (an idea that literally bites him in the ass) but still struggles with a sense of inferiority.

There are is so much attention to detail in this game: Cloud usually bends over to open chests but during the scene where he disguises himself as a female suitor to Don Corneo, he undoes latches with his foot to stay upright in his tight dress; landlady Marle is given a dog as her constant companion so "dog people wouldn't feel left out" according to designers (otherwise, cats abound in the slums, with dogs mostly being enemies); each party member is given a slew of in-battle dialogue that aids their characterization.

In terms of how this work of fiction has impacted my real life, it may be unparalleled to anything else I have ever engaged with. I am absolutely enamored with this game. Alex understands that she is now sharing me with Cloud. In my free time while I wait for the PS1 game to arrive in the mail, I am watching a full playthrough of the game on YouTube (no commentary or input from the player whatsoever, I am literally just watching the game being played, something I normally find incredibly boring), and, as mentioned, I am dusting off my old fanfiction authorship chops to start posting some fiction. The 16,000+ word story I mentioned in the beginning of this review is seriously one of the most artistically complete things I have ever written, and I am actually rather proud of it, though I know it still needs some work to be truly great.  

In short, this game made me laugh, made me cry, made me love, and made me dream. Art is a pretty spectacular thing, isn't it?


Thanks for tuning in, folks! What did you get up to in February?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Crawling Back to Facebook

Y’all, I got a confession to make. I’ve been logging onto Facebook. I never deleted it. I stayed off of it mostly since I dramatically published my “ Why am I leaving Facebook and Instagram? ” post almost two and a half years ago. I didn’t delete my account because I had pictures on there and some old friends whose contact info I never got, and it was on my to do list to get those handled and delete the account since February of 2021. And it was nice that I didn’t since that still allowed me to occasionally dip onto the site if I wanted to look at a business’s Facebook page (yo, some places don’t bother doing websites anymore, just socials). But lately, I’ve been doing more than reluctantly logging on when FB tries to block my ability to view a restaurant’s updated hours. I’ve been scrolling. Just a bit. The top three or four posts and then that’s it. I might even click on the “Show All Comments” section. I haven’t commented or liked any posts myself because that would give away that

Why Do We Like to Make Characters Suffer?

There's a question that I've been pondering lately: Why do people like seeing their favorite characters suffer? As many of you know, I love Final Fantasy VII. In particular, I love Cloud Strife, the moody sad boy protagonist of the game. Because of my great affection for this fictional man, I seek out (and write) fanfiction where Cloud faces a variety of hardships from childhood trauma to harrowing battle injuries to horrific laboratory experimentation to plain just being lonely. But why? Why do I like reading about a character that means a lot to me, who reminds me a lot of myself in some ways and has helped me understand myself better, suffering? Why do I seek out stories where he is in pain? And why am I not alone? There is an entire genre of fanfiction called “whump” where the writer’s favorite character is subjected to whatever sadistic imaginings the author can dream up. And people can dream up a lot of pain for Cloud Strife, largely because that’s sort of his deal in th

Address to 2021 Graduates

  Today some former students contacted me, telling me they had just completed the AP Latin exam. They wanted to thank me for the role I played in getting them to that point. It was touching to see that, even though I bailed on that career choice after only two and a half years, I had still made a lasting impact in the lives of some great kids. That got me feeling introspective about my decision to leave teaching in December 2019 and about the life I’ve led since. It had me wishing I could make a speech to that graduating class of Latin students, an opportunity I gave up when leaving halfway through their junior year. I realized I could still write it out, and, hey, maybe some of them will read this after all. Salvete, discipulae carissimae, Don’t worry, the rest of this is Anglice. When we met in August 2017, it was your first day of high school. It was my first day of having a job. This may come as a surprise because I made efforts to seem like I was an old hand in the classroom. The